RE: [Shaku] sleep

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 20:01:09 PDT

I have attended a few mediatation seminars and I was once told by a kind
teacher that if I get sleepy during mediation it is a sign that I need to
get more sleep. So maybe the 'problem' of getting sleepy means you just
need to go to bed a bit earlier.

Personally I don't think getting sleepy from shakuhachi music is a problem
at all. If someone produces beautiful soothing music and it lulls someone
else into restfull sleep this sounds like a wonderful thing to me.

But I guess the accomplished performer can decide when to put someone to
sleep, when to energize them, when to sadden them, when to frighten them and
so on. For some reason the easiest of all of these emotional responses to
produce with the shakuhachi seems to be the sleepy one.