[Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #899

From: Bill O'Connor (billo44@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 01:36:17 PDT

Stav Tapuch wrote...

"Personally I don't think getting sleepy from Shakuhachi music is a problem
at all. If someone produces beautiful soothing music and it lulls someone
else into restful sleep this sounds like a wonderful thing to me."

This reminds me of a debate we had at one of Yokoyama Sensei's lessons a few
years ago in Tokyo...
Yokoyama sensei fell asleep during my attempts at performing Koku in my
lesson, he woke after I finished (amidst the embarrassed giggles of the
other students) and he and the other students proceeded to debate whether or
not his falling asleep was a compliment to my playing or not?

No consensus was reached, though Yokoyama himself insisted it was a
compliment.

Bill.