[Shaku] Re: Ikkyu Poems

From: Deana Dearry (vivawisconsin@ameritech.net)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 00:38:14 PDT

Although I had appreciated Shakuhachi before, upon hearing Murasaki Reibo
performed for the first time I was moved beyond words. I immediately wanted
to learn to play myself. Since Ikkyu-san is popularly credited with MR, I
also wanted to learn more about him. He is fascinating! I located many
translations of Ikkyu's poetry but I believe I only found 2 in which he
directly references Shakuhachi & one other that seems to suggest it. You
have already found my favorite one. I can't find the other 2 now but I will
keep looking and forward to you. The best volume is Sonja Arntzen's. I
searched for it for a couple of years only to accidentally discover it in
the archives of my public library when I moved to Milwaukee!