[Shaku] The moldy shakuhachi syndrome

From: romy@romyb.com
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 13:00:20 PDT

When someone brings me a neglected and moldy flute, it's first cleaned up
with alcohol-- Everclear (drinkable grain alcohol) is more pleasant than
denatured alcohol for this purpose, and it's always good to have some on
hand in case of emergencies!

After that, a strong aqueous solution of potassium sorbate is swabbed
inside and out a couple of times. (Note that I'm referring to
non-lacquered bamboo transverse flutes, for what it's worth.) The flute
is re-oiled after the sorbate solution has dried.

Potassium sorbate is a mold inhibitor, regarded as one of the most benign
food additives. It's available from winemaking and brewing supply houses,
and is quite helpful in my experience. It's a good idea to re-treat the
flute every once in a while if the mold shows signs of attempting a
comeback.