Re: [Shaku] The moldy shakuhachi syndrome

From: Stephanie Hiller (stephaniehiller9@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 23:33:49 PDT

Hi all,

If we are getting into the dilemma of which oil to use
on shakuhachi, you might want to read what they have
to say on www.navaching.com/shaku/oil. I read that
and it confused me totally! Good to know a bit more
about different oils though.

As far as walnut oil is concerned, I know it's a
pretty popular one to use for the outside of the flute
(Never heard of this black hull type though). My only
concern is, as a massage therapist, Walnut goes rancid
very quickly and easily. It then smells foul! It is
also very sticky and I would therefore never use it
for massage. Not sure I fancy a sticky, or smelly
shakuhachi! I'd welcome comments from those who have
used this oil on their shaku - does it smell, and/or
is it sticky?

I haven't had to deal with anti-mould treatment,
though I reckon I'd be inclined to use an alcohol
initially before thinking about any oil on the inside
of the flute. Would oiling the inside not affect the
tone? Also, if using an essential oil (lavender or
tea tree) presumably you dilute it first or you'd use
an entire bottle just to get it the length of the
instrument - what do you dilute it in?

Happy playing,
Stephanie