Re: [Shaku] The moldy shakuhachi syndrome

From: romy@romyb.com
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 12:38:21 PDT

I use an oil blend on my flutes, and the base is ordinary walnut cooking
oil. I've never had any stickiness or rancidity problems with walnut, as
long as any excess is buffed off and the instrument is aired out
thoroughly after oiling. Exposure to ultraviolet light also speeds the
stabilization (polymerization) of walnut oil, and of course this doesn't
necessarily mean direct sunlight.

The walnut base has a small admixture of lavender oil, perhaps 1-2%, along
with around 5-10% cedar oil. Works great for me.