RE: [Shaku] Tozan komuso?

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 20:29:35 PDT

Justin,

Don't really know how efficient the law was to outlaw the komuso. It is sure
that they continued in some form or shape. My Mum, who is born in 1934 talks
about how scared she used to be of shakuhachi playing komuso monks when she
was little. And she was born and grew up in Harajuku, pretty central Tokyo -
one can say, so not just something in the countryside. The way my
grandmother used to describe komuso, as she remembers them, they seemed not
to have the tengai on... but really I don't know more than what these two
have told me. And surely they had, at least by that time, lost their
connection to the Fuke Sect and the temples, probably. I know that there are
a few komuso in Japan now walking around with their komuso outfits and
playing.

Kiku