Re: [Shaku] Notation

From: Charles Turner (charlesturner9@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 11:18:34 PDT

--- Philip Gelb <phil@philipgelb.com> wrote:

> Is there such a thing as "A traditional sound"? Does this (and most elements of any
> given culture) not change from generation to generation? Doesnt it need to change in
> order to survive and remain relevant?
> In Japan, the shakuhachi changes from generation to generation. Otherwise it simply
> becomes a museum object or something that so called anthrolopgists can become
> nostaligic over. :)

Of course Phil is right about change. However I see nothing wrong with anthropology or
museums - I think they do us a lot of good.

I am deeply curious about how the shakuhachi has been played in the past, and I am very
grateful for the recordings and teachers who can satisfy my curiosity. This does not
make me an anthropologist, nor (I hope) does it make make me a nostalgic fool. As a
composer, I am keenly interested in new music and in the present cultural context.

Change is inevitable, of course, but it is wearing and tiring for people to deal with.
As the world changes, people need constant things in their lives. A great deal of the
value of a traditional art comes from the fact that it does NOT change drastically all
the time. Lots of people that I know find museum-going quite meaningful, too.

It seems to me that one of the great benefits of any art form is the way it can expand my
imagination and sympathies. It reminds me that there are many ways to be, not just my
own (present) way. It makes me more interested in cultural differences and the
possibility that I can change my life. Playing the honkyoku and sankyoku offers a new
theater for my imagination, a different way to be.

--- Philip Gelb <phil@philipgelb.com> wrote:
> As the shakuhachi leaves Japan and takes roots in the US, Europe and Australia, it has
> to change or it would not be able to fit into its new cultural contexts.

I am quite interested in the new cultural contexts that Phil mentions. On the other
hand, the new cultural environments for shakuhachi music do not make the traditional ones
less interesting or relevant to me. And why not change the cultural contexts instead of
changing the shakuhachi? I think a daily dose of honkyoku is a good thing in my modern
life.