RE: [Shaku] Notation

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 15:39:38 PDT

 If traditional
> performers were respected and paid a living wage,
> there would be no
> need for referees of what's traditional and what
> isn't. The work of Arn
> Chorn-Pond in raising money to pay a monthly stipend
> to the remaining
> Cambodian traditional musicians, [...] is a lot more
valuable
> than that of
> outsiders who try to decide what is or isn't
> traditional enough.

Isn't it the INSIDERS who are those "gatekeepers"? The
old stuffy conservatives, who look down on the new?
Actually, I think they play a vital role. I think
perhaps the natural evolution of culture/tradition may
be that very interrelation of the old stuffy
conservatives, and the young wild inovators. With only
the latter it would go haywire, and maybe incohesive?
Maybe no continuation. Then, with only the former,
become stagnant, and die. I think healthy may be the
dynamic interaction of those two forces.
More later
Justin.