RE: [Shaku] takemitzu and notation

From: nyokai@nyokai.com
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 08:36:13 PDT

> I'm working on some new pieces for solo shakuhachi and some duets
> that have a lot of microtonal content, and I've found that standard
> western notation doesn't easily support subtle pitch inflections.

Takemitsu's graphical shakuhachi notation in November Steps is pretty
clear and worth looking at. Though all the effects and inflections
could be expressed in traditional Kinko notation, it has the advantage
of being non-pitch-determinate.

For microtonal staff notation, I use a my own simplified variant of Sims
notation -- up and down arrows with one, two, or three stems, dividing a
whole step into twelfths.