[Shaku] Last Night's T.M. Hoffman Concert

From: Derek Choice (soundwave1@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 07:39:00 PDT

A great thanks to Bruce for recommending T.M. Hoffman's "Integral Asia",
Asian Crossover concert in San Diego last night. The venue was perfect, the
musicianship was top-notch, and the blend of India/Japan instrumentation and
compositions was exceptional! This was my first exposure to a shakuhachi
being played bansuri-style, and T.M.'s performance was fluid, graceful and
very moving. The show was near 3 hours, including a short intermission, and
culminated with an intense percussive volley and unique, lively blend of
instrumentation. The percussion, incidentally, was exceptional! Abhijit
Banerjee is a real treat to watch, especially for anyone who has ever
attempted to play tabla in the traditional style.

I am no reviewer, but did want to recommend the show, as there looks to be 2
more concerts in the USA in September: one at Princeton, the other in PA.
More detailed info and audio clips / CD's located at:
http://www.shakuhachi.com/G-IJMEA.html.

Fun!

:)