Re: [Shaku] Shakuhachi notation software?

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 09:35:29 PDT

>From: "T.J." <tequila.jimador@gmail.com>
>
>What do you use to write shakuhachi notation on a computer?

I use a combination of Photoshop and Pagemaker. I scan a few scores
from a particular school - say Tozan - and then user Photoshop to copy
each of the characters into individual files, e.g., one each for ro,
tsu, tsu-no-meri, tsu-chumeri, re-meri, re, etc. I also do this for
all the ancillary stuff like kan/otsu, the rest marks, timing (2/4 or
4/4, etc.), or whatever else is called for. If you pick scores that are
sufficiently complex, you can build an entire notation set of characters
in a few hours.

Then I use Pagemaker to create scores. The advantage to Pagemaker over
Photoshop for this is that once you import a given character into a score,
you can copy that character and paste it as many times as you like.
The other advantage is that the characters are movable at any time,
as they retain their independent status within the document. So, if
you screw up, it's easy to fix. You can also rubber-band groups of
characters and copy them when you need to duplicate phrases or sections.

I've built several sets of type in this way: Tozan, Yoneya, Kinko and
used them to arrange a number of scores.

bj

-