[Shaku] Dokyoku pitches

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 04:12:16 PDT

Hi everyone
I have started to analyse Yokoyama's pitch in his
Koten Honkyoku. In case anyone is interested, far it
looks something like this:
Eb -25c
Ab -25c
Bb -25c
Db -25c

That is, all the notes are roughly the same as in 12ET
except the meri notes, which seem to be about 25 cents
flatter (there are 100 cents in a semitone, so that
means one quarter of a semitone flatter than the usual
western pitch.)
Well, more research to do as I think there may be more
subtleties to it. Also I want to analyse other players
and also other repetoires. I am particularly
interested to analyse the sankyoku but there are added
difficulties in measuring the pitches as all are
playing at once!
 I also know that this may sound strange, as we don't
exactly play precise pitches. Nevertheless, I think we
are basing or sound around a scale which does consist
of particular pitches, and so my interest lies in how
that (or those) scales differ in pitch to 12ET.
Best wishes
Justin.