[Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #955

From: Bill O'Connor (billo44@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 01:35:13 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_009A_01C5C9D3.24A93AC0
        charset="us-ascii"

Justin wrote...
'So far I am focusing on Yokoyama playing Dokyoku. I
know that ancient pieces I have been taught have
different pitches, and I have been wondering when the
pitches changed. Was it Watazumi who changed them? I
would love to know about this if anyone has any
information.'

I don't have information, my speculation for what its worth (my -25cents you
might say)
is that that these pitches have been in a constant state of change ever
since the Dokyoku were first played.
The music is an aural transmission and has been passed down without notation
up until Kinko 1 started to travel the country notating the Hon Kyoku.

Certainly the ability to accurately measure pitch is a recent tool which was
not widely available in years past.
Not to say that good players were not keenly aware of pitch in years past.

Watazumi by all accounts changed anything in the Dokyoku he had a feeling to
change, but I don't suppose he was the only one in the history of the music
who innovated.

I'm not trying to put down this element of your study by the way, that is to
say your analysis of these intervals. I hope it helps you and I respect
your commitment. I look forward to reading more.

Your point about Shakuhachi makers only tuning the open holes is true, but
surely a respectable maker is also playing the meri notes during the tuning
process to confirm there are no anomalies in the response of the flute.

Cheers folks
Bill (the Nagano one)

------=_NextPart_000_009A_01C5C9D3.24A93AC0
        name="BIll O'Connor.vcf"
        filename="BIll O'Connor.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:O'Connor;BIll
FN:BIll O'Connor
ORG:Fireside Company Ltd.
TITLE:International Manager
TEL;WORK;VOICE:265-82-4676
TEL;CELL;VOICE:901-828-7110
TEL;WORK;FAX:265-82-4683
ADR;WORK:;;497-871 Akaho,;Komagane-Shi;Nagano-Ken;399-4117;Japan
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:497-871 =
Akaho,=3D0D=3D0AKomagane-Shi, Nagano-Ken 399-4117=3D0D=3D0AJapan
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:bill@firesidestove.com
REV:20030528T041313Z
END:VCARD

------=_NextPart_000_009A_01C5C9D3.24A93AC0--