Re: [Shaku] RE: dokyoku pitches- Koga Sensei's ideas re tuning

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 09:33:46 PDT

> Watazumido's playing seems to me to be all over the map, more so than
> any
> other player.

interesting observation; when I first listened to Watazumido I had the
same impression but on closer listening (and admittedly with a little
prodding) I noticed that his pitches were actually very consistent. His
timing and ornamentation are indeed completely unique, at least in my
experience (and a little overwhelming at first) but the melodies (if
they could be called that) seem to have pretty consistent pitch
relationships. But this is an unscientific survey from someone with an
ok but not stellar ear so... maybe we have another project for Justin
when he gets the program working again :-)