RE: [Shaku] RE: Pitch - psychoacoustics

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 23:34:14 PDT

--- Dan Gutwein <dangutwein@comcast.net> wrote:
 and this is where I
> question the validity of the test that produce
> statements like "tests prove
> that people can ID pitch-relations within a 5 cent
> tolerance." It seems to
> me that in cases like that, those who are testing
> the responders must simply
> be taking them at their word.

Hi Dan
Woudn't they be using a reliable pitch producer
though, in their experiments? I doubt they would use a
violin or shakuhachi doing vibrato in such hearing
tests right? More like a computer producing a steady
precise pitch I would think. But to bring this back to
shakuhachi, if one learns shakuhachi from one's
teacher, and then produces the meri notes at the same
pitch as one's teacher within 5 cents tolerance,
wouldn't that indicate something about the level of
accuracy of the player to hear pitch? Also, as some
people may play meris with more or less accuracy
(unintended) this I would expect is due to their
varying ability to distinguish pitch as such accuracy.
And then there are also poeple who just don't seem to
care to play with consistent pitch. That, I don't
necessarily condemn. It seems interesting that some
people just don't care for this, and play in a way
that may seem to many as "all over the place"! It is
not normally what I encounter in "music", but
intrigues me somehow. I wonder if this was more common
in the shakuhachi world of old?
Best wishes
Justin.