RE: [Shaku] RE: Pitch - psychoacoustics

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 02:24:01 PDT

--- Dan Gutwein <dangutwein@comcast.net> wrote:

> I know of no one who cares to go the bother to prove
> that they can play an
> isolated pitch on their instrument within 5 cents
> tolerance of the same
> isolated pitch played by their teacher.

Hi Dan
Sorry, I didn't explain properly. I meant just the
relative pitch. Like, tsu-meri relative to ro, and the
measurement of the interval between them. Not any kind
of absolute pitch.

 To actually
> do this would require
> at least one of the people involved to do a
> multiply-sampled and detailed
> time-averaging frequency analysis of each isolated
> pitch played by both
> players.

I'm not exactly sure of all those terms, but it pretty
much sounds like what I did (except the pitches also
were just played naturally in the pieces, not isolated
"long tones" - I thuogh the notes in their natural
context would tell me more what I wanted to know). But
my aim was not at all to prove anything. It was just
an exploration into what is going on. Just to see. And
so when I analysed an old recording of myself in that
same way, I found my ro tsu-meri interval to be about
75cents too, give or take a few. That just made me
think that I guess we are pretty sensitive to the
pitch, not because of any tools, but just by listening
and playing.

  In the end, musicians learn that they have
> to spend their precious
> time tackling higher-level musical issues (shaping
> phrases and passages.)

Yeah yeah, sure. I was just interested about the pitch
at that time, that's all. Also, I would love to hear
your views on the playing style where people play all
kinds of pitch in no seeming consistency. Have you
heard stuff like that? What do you think about it?
Best wishes
Justin.