[Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #967

From: Mark Miller (markm@naropa.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 22:44:37 PDT

The more one practices this technique, the more quickly one will find
one will come out of negativity. Gradually the mind becomes freed of the
defilements; it becomes pure. A pure mind is always full of
love--selfless love for all others; full of compassion for the failings
and sufferings of others; full of joy at their success and happiness;
full of equanimity in the face of any situation. "

It got me wondering if the monks who developed the use of shakuhachi for
SuiZen were on the same track as Vipassana practice (which is an ancient
buddha meditation practice anyway) and just approaching it from a
different angle (ie: using the flute as a tool to focus, as opposed to
just sitting meditation).

I sure hope so. The Vipassana tradition represents a stream of Buddhism =
(sometimes called Hinayana) that is older than Zen, going back to the =
original teachings of the Buddha. Zen is part of Mahayana Buddhism, or =
the "second turning", a kind of Buddhist reformation that emerged =
sometime between 100 B.C.E. and 100 C.E. =20

In Mahayana Buddhism, the emphasis is on serving others based on one's =
understanding of "emptiness" or the formless nature of reality. Because =
reality, on one level, is "formless" or "empty", the Komuso monks would =
have realized that our lives (and all other phenomena) are completely =
interdependent. As a result of that understanding, compassion arises.

This is not to dismiss the breath practice at all. It's fundamental =
(some would say that Buddhist truth is all contained in this practice). =
But it seems to me that the Komuso would be expressing something about =
emptiness and what that means- a level of compassion that generates a =
willingness to live for the benefit of others- the way of the =
Bodhisattva (a kind of Buddhist saint, if you will).=20

For if a patient quality of mind=20
Is mine, I shall avoid the pains of hell.
But though indeed I save myself,=20
What of my foes, what fate's in store for them?

If I repay them harm for harm,
Indeed they'll not be saved thereby;
And all my noble actions will be spoiled
Austerity of patience brought to nothing.

-Shantideva

Mark

Mark A. Miller
Associate Professor of Music