Re: [Shaku] microtonal fluctuations in the noosphere

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 02:18:27 PDT

--- joel taylor <joel.g.taylor@comcast.net> wrote:

> Justin, in the US and Europe the avante-garde
> microtonally saturated
> "free music" of the 1960's and 1970's, which
> developed through a
> number of paths into what's now called improvised
> electroacoustic
> music --somewhat fits your description

Hi Joel
I loved what you were saying - thanks. Actually when I
said about that I was refering to traditional
shakuhachi players. In particular it is certain Meian
people whom I've heard in that way. So it is about an
maybe a passed down lineage of imprecise pitch. I'm
not saying their whole lineage is like that by the
way. Just suggesting that there may be an element of
that somewhere, as it seems to me. And I think that
needn't necessarily be swept away or not taken
"seriously".
 As it happens, I have been getting involved somewhat
in "free improvisation" in London (a good place for
it!) It has be very good for me giving enjoyment and
insight into ... well, dare I say music, and
shakuhachi. I fel that it has been really good for my
playing, in that it has encouraged in me exploration
and, as you have mentioned, appreciate of "sound". I
have Kurahashi-sensei to thank for that. And the free
improvisation has really helped me to further explore
it.
Best wishes
Justin.