[Shaku] The first pan-European Shakuhachi Summer School !

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 07:31:44 PST

Dear Shakuhachi Players,

We are planning to hold a 4 day European Shakuhachi Summer School in Lond=
on=20
next July and need to know whether you are interested in joining for furt=
her=20
planning. We need to be able to estimate a number of participants.

Provisonal details are attached with this message.

Please could you e-mail me back as soon as possible indicating whether y=
ou=20
are interested in this on my personal e-mail addres:

kiku@kikuday.com

With many thanks

Kiku

10.11.05

Dear Shakuhachi Players

We are some shakuhachi players in London trying to organise the very firs=
t=20
pan-European Shakuhachi Summer School. And let=92s make it pan-European =96=
 not=20
just London! And, of course, everybody is welcome from all over the world=
!

Dates
It is going to take place between the 19th and 22nd of July 2006 at SOAS=20
(School of Oriental and African Studies), University of London. 4 days of=
=20
intensive shakuhachi!

Teachers
So far we have a range of teachers including:
Clive Bell, Michael Coxall, Kiku Day, Jim Franklin, Gunnar Jinmei Linder,=
=20
Atsuya Okuda, V=E9ronique Piron, Brian Ritchie and others may be added.

Styles
The current styles include:
honkyoku, sankyoku with koto and shamisen accompaniment, shinkyoku,=20
contemporary music, folk song (min'yo), improvisation, and shakuhachi in=20
jazz and rock.

Lineages
The lineages/schools so far represented here are:
Kinko (Yamaguchi Goro branch)
D=F4kyoku
Zensabo (ji-nashi shakuhachi/hocchiku)
Jin Nyodo
(Others may be added shortly)

Programme
We are planning on having courses running all day for 4 days that=20
participants can follow and then also join in a recital, as well as maste=
r=20
classes, workshops, talks, and small group and individual tuition. The=20
programme is open for all levels from absolute beginners to advanced.

Cost
Accommodation
The cost of accommodation is a bargain for central London. The university=
=20
accommodation is single rooms with en suite shower/toilet. The cost is:=20
=A319.50 without bedding (so bring your own sleeping bag) and =A326 with=20
bedding. It=92s a 10 minute walk from SOAS, which is located very near to=
 the=20
British Museum in the heart of London.

Tuition
We are hoping to keep the fees to around =A3100-150 for the 4 days. We ar=
e not=20
planning to provide food as there are places to eat at and near the=20
university.
Instruments
A limited number of shakuhachi made from Chinese bamboo and beginner=92s =
PVC=20
flutes will be available for borrowing and possible purchase - kindly=20
provided by Ken LaCosse, a brilliant shakuhachi maker in San Francisco.

Interest
In order to determine whether there is real interest in this event, pleas=
e=20
could you e-mail back to Kiku Day at: kiku@kikuday.com or via the shakuha=
chi=20
lists) as soon as possible to let us know whether you are:

1. Coming to participate for sure
2. Interested, but not 100% sure
3. Interested but doubt to be able to come
4. Not coming (you can give us reasons if you like)

This is a real opportunity for all of us to get together to share our=20
understanding of shakuhachi, develop our practice and further promote=20
interest in this wonderful instrument and music.

If you have suggestions, please let us know!

Please could you let us know whether you are interested in this as soon a=
s=20
possible.

With many thanks

The London Shakuhachi Summer School Steering Group
Kiku Day, Michael Coxall, Clive Bell.