Re: [Shaku] Tai Hei Shakuhachi Scholarship

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 19:14:26 PST

--B_3215020521_8609969
        charset="ISO-8859-1"

Hi Monty,

I hope it=B9s ok to send an =B3e-mail=B2 letter of recommendation. If not let me
know and I=B9ll mail a =B3real=B2 letter.

Dear Monty & Kayo Levenson,

I want to recommend my student Leonel Olivares Olalde for consideration for
a Tai Hei Shakuhachi Scholarship (Masuda Shuho Memorial Scholarship). I
believe he has already sent in his application.

Leonel started taking private lessons from me around 2 months ago. He hear=
of me from your web site. He travels by bus every Saturday from Guanajuato,
Mexico; about 1 1/2 hours each way. He=B9s a very dedicated student. Always
prepared for the lesson. A fast learner with the kind of attitude that
makes it enjoyable to teach him. He=B9s quite musical; has a good ear and
picks things up fast. Already has a decent tone for a beginner.

I was surprised to learn after around one month of lessons that he has a
mild form of autism, known as Asperger=B9s Syndrome. I never would have
guessed this as he is an above average student. He just seems very shy and
quiet. He told me that he doesn=B9t like crowd=B9s and does better one on one.
I=B9m not sure if this is why he doesn=B9t have a full time job. He has limite=
finances and at present can only afford to learn on a pvc 1.8 that I made
for him. I think his mother and girlfriend are helping him pay for the
lessons.

He seems at this point to be very serious about learning to play shakuhachi=
.
I know he has also studied Zen meditation at a monastery in Vera Cruz, whic=
perhaps has helped him to have the right attitude for sticking with it. I
hope you=B9ll take a look at him as a possible scholarship candidate.

Thanks and best regards,

Peter Ross

On 11/14/05 4:18 PM, "Monty H. Levenson" <monty@shakuhachi.com> wrote:

> Applications for the Second Annual Tai Hei Shakuhachi Scholarship are now
> being accepted.
>=20
> This scholarship is dedicated to the memory of our dear friend Masuda Shu=
ho,
> shakuhachi maker from Kawasaki, Japan whose untimely passing in 2001 left=
> great void in our hearts. It is called the Masuda Shuho Memorial Scholars=
hip.
>=20
> Tai Hei Shakuhachi is offering $1,000 scholarship annually to a deserving
> person or persons wishing to develop and enhance their involvement with t=
he
> shakuhachi and its music. The award will be presented in whole or part to=
 one
> or more applicants. This scholarship is an effort to encourage and promot=
> interest in shakuhachi and its traditional music abroad. For this reason,=
 it
> is limited to players residing outside of Japan.
>=20
> The scholarship is not intended for professional players or teachers of
> shakuhachi, but for their students and others who aspire to learn the
> instrument. Teachers are encouraged to inform their students about this
> opportunity. All others, regardless of age, gender, nationality, race,
> religion or group affiliation, are encouraged to apply. Applicants who ha=
ve
> bypassed for the award can reapply as many times as possible in subsequen=
> years.
>=20
> Awarding the stipend will take into account financial need as well as tal=
ent
> and ability of the applicant. Applicants will be asked to provide some ba=
sic
> information and write an autobiography. Letters of recommendation may be
> submitted with the application, but are not required. The name of the
> recipient(s) will be announced as soon as possible after the December 15,=
 2005
> deadline for submission.
>=20
> For more information and to download an application, go to
> http://www.shakuhachi.com/TOC-Scholarship.html
>=20
> Last year three scholarships were given. Many thanks to those who have
> generously donated so that we were able to expand this year's awards.
>=20
> All the best,
> Monty & Kayo Levenson

--B_3215020521_8609969
        charset="ISO-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Shaku] Tai Hei Shakuhachi Scholarship</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Hi Mo=
nty,<BR>
<BR>
I hope it&#8217;s ok to send an &#8220;e-mail&#8221; letter of recommendati=
on. &nbsp;If not let me know and I&#8217;ll mail a &#8220;real&#8221; letter=
.<BR>
<BR>
Dear Monty &amp; Kayo Levenson, &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I want to recommend my student Leonel Olivares Olalde for consideration for=
 a Tai Hei Shakuhachi Scholarship &nbsp;&nbsp;(Masuda Shuho Memorial Scholar=
ship). &nbsp;I believe he has already sent in his application.<BR>
<BR>
Leonel started taking private lessons from me around 2 months ago. &nbsp;He=
 heard of me from your web site. He travels by bus every Saturday from Guana=
juato, Mexico; about 1 1/2 hours each way. &nbsp;He&#8217;s a very dedicated=
 student. &nbsp;Always prepared for the lesson. &nbsp;A fast learner with th=
e kind of attitude that makes it enjoyable to teach him. &nbsp;He&#8217;s qu=
ite musical; has a good ear and picks things up fast. &nbsp;Already has a de=
cent tone for a beginner.<BR>
<BR>
I was surprised to learn after around one month of lessons that he has a mi=
ld form of autism, known as Asperger&#8217;s Syndrome. &nbsp;I never would h=
ave guessed this as he is an above average student. &nbsp;He just seems very=
 shy and quiet. &nbsp;He told me that he doesn&#8217;t like crowd&#8217;s an=
d does better one on one. &nbsp;I&#8217;m not sure if this is why he doesn&#=
8217;t have a full time job. &nbsp;He has limited finances and at present ca=
n only afford to learn on a pvc 1.8 that I made for him. &nbsp;I think his m=
other and girlfriend are helping him pay for the lessons.<BR>
<BR>
He seems at this point to be very serious about learning to play shakuhachi=
. &nbsp;I know he has also studied Zen meditation at a monastery in Vera Cru=
z, which perhaps has helped him to have the right attitude for sticking with=
 it. &nbsp;I hope you&#8217;ll take a look at him as a possible scholarship =
candidate.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks and best regards,<BR>
<BR>
Peter Ross<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 11/14/05 4:18 PM, &quot;Monty H. Levenson&quot; &lt;monty@shakuhachi.com=
&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Applications for the Second Annual Tai Hei Shakuhachi S=
cholarship are now being accepted.<BR>
<BR>
This scholarship is dedicated to the memory of our dear friend Masuda Shuho=
, shakuhachi maker from Kawasaki, Japan whose untimely passing in 2001 left =
a great void in our hearts. It is called the<B> Masuda Shuho Memorial Schola=
rship</B>.<BR>
<BR>
Tai Hei Shakuhachi is offering $1,000 scholarship annually to a deserving p=
erson or persons wishing to develop and enhance their involvement with the s=
hakuhachi and its music. The award will be presented in whole or part to one=
 or more applicants. This scholarship is an effort to encourage and promote =
interest in shakuhachi and its traditional music abroad. For this reason, it=
 is limited to players residing outside of Japan.<BR>
<BR>
The scholarship is not intended for professional players or teachers of sha=
kuhachi, but for their students and others who aspire to learn the instrumen=
t. Teachers are encouraged to inform their students about this opportunity. =
All others, regardless of age, gender, nationality, race, religion or group =
affiliation, are encouraged to apply. Applicants who have bypassed for the a=
ward can reapply as many times as possible in subsequent years.<BR>
<BR>
Awarding the stipend will take into account financial need as well as talen=
t and ability of the applicant. Applicants will be asked to provide some bas=
ic information and write an autobiography. Letters of recommendation may be =
submitted with the application, but are not required. The name of the recipi=
ent(s) will be announced as soon as possible after the December 15, 2005 dea=
dline for submission.<BR>
<BR>
For more information and to download an application, go to <a href=3D"http://=
www.shakuhachi.com/TOC-Scholarship.html">http://www.shakuhachi.com/TOC-Schol=
arship.html</a><BR>
<BR>
Last year three scholarships were given. Many thanks to those who have gene=
rously donated so that we were able to expand this year's awards.<BR>
<BR>
All the best,<BR>
Monty &amp; Kayo Levenson<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STY=
LE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>