[Shaku] Shakuhachi Roots update 3

From: ramos (ramos@dccnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 04:23:05 PST

When I walked into your field of vision
Your beauty immediately captured me;
Body, slender and long reaching into space
silken skin, smooth to the touch
with markings like ink paintings glowing with shadows
Some other energy you emitted
Your scent of worlds to be explored
The sheen of your emptiness
Your shape
Drew me to you without thought
You enticed me to hold you
And kiss your mouth...
As you breath my air I breath the Universe
And the Sound
Emerged

Alcvin Takegawa Ramos

Nov. 2005, Japan

One very interesting thing I learned while harvesting bamboo
with Okuda in Nagano is that within the madake species we
harvest there are male and female bamboo plants. Apparently
most of the shakuhachi bamboo that we play on are the female
of the species. There may be 1 male bamboo for every 300
female bamboos in a grove. The male bamboo stalks are
characterized by
thicker walls and are usually much thinner in diameter than
the females
which can grow quite large and fat. Also, the male
bamboo plants have a deep groove on its side emanting from
one or two nodes. Korean Taegum (horizontal bamboo flute)
are made of the male bamboo usually.

On Nov. 24 we set off for Tsubaki Jinja in Mie Prefecture.
We arrived at the Jinja at 4:00 PM, checked into the Kaikan
(hotel) and rested until misogi which was at 5 PM. After
offering a bottle of sake and salt for the Kami-sama, we
started with O-harae (ritual purification) by a Shinto
priest in front of the Kamidana of Sarudahiko O-kami, then
went outside and donned our white fundoshi and hachimaki
(for men) and white robes (for women), performed ritual warm
up facing the honden of Sarudahiko Okami, then entered the
waterfall for taki misogi (waterfall purification) while
chanting a shinto prayer. When we all finished we got
dressed and sat silently in the prayer hall for a while then
thanked the kannushi (priest) who was so kind to give us a
complimentary bottle of sake for our dinner. The food served
at Tsubaki Kaikan is exceptionally delicious Japanese
traditional style fare. After a nice onsen I slept deeply
and peacefully in the folds of the clean futon.

The next morning we offered shakuhachi honkyoku within the
inner sanctuary of the Honden after offering tamagushi
(sacred branch offering of the Yu tree) to connect more with
the Kamisama. Then we met the Guji Yamamoto, the 97th
generation priest of the Tsubaki Shrine. When I realized it
was him who greeted us that morning I was very surprised as
it was the first time meeting him. Last year when we
visited, he was in BC doing a purification ritual at the
Shrine on Saltspring Island. Finally nice to meet the Guji!

At 12:30 the shakuhachi maker, Taro Miura picked us up from
the Kaikan in a van and drove us to the neighboring city of
Yokkaichi where he was holding a small concert of his
friends who play gagaku music as well as a welcome party for
us at his charming Japanese-style guest house overlooking
the rice fields. Taro-san replicated an ancient 6-holed
gagaku shakuhachi from Shosoin (repository of ancient
imperial instruments in Nara) and performed it with the
group that evening. It sounded quite soft next to the
powerful hichirikis, but added a pleasant texture when
played solo. After the haunting gagaku performance, Taro-san
played a folk medly on his shakuahchi accompanied by a fine
vocalist. Then the
visiting shakuhachi players from Canada and the US played
each a solo piece on shakuhachi. Sanya, Tamuke, Amazing
Grace, Kyorei.....Earlier that evening, Taro-san mentioned
that the old Komuso temple, Reiho-ji existed here in
Yokkaichi, but has since been destroyed. Now only a barren
lot exists where it once was. The most famous piece to come
out of that temple was Tamuke.

After most of the guests had left, Taro-san took us to see
his shakuhachi workshop and Kyudo-jo (place where he
practices Japanese archery) in his back yard and
demonstrated the Art in the waning light of dusk. From 300
yards, with no light he let an arrow fly from his bow and
nearly hit the bulls eye. Quite amazing. Taro-san is the top
Kyudo champion of his prefecture and regulary gets invited
to Europe for demonstrations. I even got to try letting the
arrow fly which felt wonderful. Taro-san is also an
accomplished poet (tanka and haiku) and has won various
awards for his writing.

It was very inspiring to see his passion for shakuhachi,
kyudo, and poetry. When I return to Vancouver, I will see if
there are any Kyudo clubs so I can practice!

To be continued............

Next destination: Fukuoka; Hakata Iccho-ken