[Shaku] RE: History of Shakuhachi Making

From: Joel Taylor <joel.g.taylor@comcast.net>
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 12:49:54 PST

Kiku,
Thanks for clarifying the purpose of your project. It sounds like exactly
the right thing to do. A study like the one you are doing will be very
useful to the community of both players and makers, as well as being of
historical interest. I think the approach that you've outlined is much more
sensible than a search for "rules" for shakuhachi makers. It's certainly an
important thing to understand, the differences in the instruments of the
past from those of today. Good for you! I would love to see some of the
sound spectrum data you've collected. I would venture that ideas about
tuning were probably very different than those we have today as well.

I'm also happy with some of the jinashi flutes I've made this last year. I
took a workshop with Murai-san in B.C., and watching him work and talking to
him helped me a lot.

Good luck in your studies. It sounds like you are going to be having a lot
of fun and doing important work at the same time. Brava!

Joel