Re: [Shaku] Shakuhachi tuning

From: Charles Turner <charlesturner9@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 07:49:18 PST

Hi,

Try this web site: http://www.navaching.com/shaku/shakuindex.html.

If you read this site patiently, you will be able to tease out some very =
useful pointers
about hole placement. However, the author has come to the conclusion tha=
t it is easier
to work with a perfect cylinder with a flattened blowing end rather than =
an irregular
tapered bore, so you need to modify his findings a bit for bamboo.

I used to use a fixed table of percentages to locate the holes, and then =
I drilled them
small. Then I would widen them to adjust pitch until they worked. =20

I designed a spreadsheet once that used two different methods to determin=
e hole
placement, given the total length of the tube. I'll see if I can scare t=
hat up.

The book 'Blowing Zen' by Carl (sorry, I forgot his last name) has a good=
 section on
making shakuhachi using traditional methods - there are some good rules o=
f thumb there.

I'm sure that the jinashi enthusiasts among us will offer you some good h=
elp.=20

Best,

Charles=20