Re: [Shaku] Shakuhachi tuning

From: Ken LaCosse <emptyflute@mujitsu.com>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 15:33:32 PST

"I know this is a complex question and am reading regarding 'pressure
nodes',
'flow nodes' and acoustic dynamics of waves, changing hole diameters,
but am
interested in anyone's comments on this."

I'm sure there are many ways to go about drilling and tuning the holes.
Here is one way.

I like to start from hole #1 rather than hole #5.

An important concept is that each hole drilled will slightly flatten the
pitch of the holes below. This is a common tuning error with shakuhachi
and is the reason that some play progressively sharper as one goes up
the scale.

To correct and compensate for this, the first hole can be tuned a bit
sharp, the second less sharp, the third less sharp than the second, the
fourth less sharp than the third, and the fifth on exact pitch. This
tuning method is tricky at first. Mistakes are likely. After a few
attempts you get the feel of the degree of compensation needed.

It helps to work holistically while using this method. Drilling all the
holes first(with this concept in mind)and balancing the fine tuning
later brings more success than drilling and fine tuning one hole at a time.

This is only one strategy. Once you get the feel for the concept you'll
probably come up with the approach that suits you best.

"Also, is the curve at the lower end of a culm adding back pressure
into the
bore?"