[Shaku] Shakuhachi Insert

From: Perry Yung <yungflutes@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 13:54:45 PST

Hi Kel,

> I take it you drill instead of burning ? perhaps
> both ?

I drill with a special drill bit made to drill bamboo.
It is available at Mejiro in Tokyo.

I'm not opposed to burning. If I was camping and came
across some dried bamboo and happen to have a metal
rod with me, I'd certainly give try it. I'm of the
"I'll try anything once" school ;-)
I actually made my first two shakuhachi on a beach in
Kume Jima, Okinawa with my wife's Swiss Army knife.
It was the Craftsman Model with the tiny file and saw.

As for Joel's thread about an insert on the back of
the utaguchi, some of you may want to visit my blog -
http://www.yungflutes.com/log - for a recent repair. I
inserted an ikigeashi to make the flute play better.

Namaste, Perry

"He is fast becoming one of the few Americans who make and repair shakuhachi" - Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, Grandmaster
http://www.yungflutes.com
"Three extremely talented young Asian American men." - New York Times
http://www.slantperformancegroup.com