[Shaku] I'm so happy

From: JASON CASTNER <jchanwagenki@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 08:35:23 PST

I am in college and everything is paid for even my
living expenses. finally my hard, under paid work is
paying off. maybe in a few years I can afford an
expensive shaku and maybe an expensive teacher. But
thats not what I'm happy about.

I was asked to record my shakuhachi at the college
(state of the art) recording studio. Yeah, I'm self
taught except for like eight, 2 hour lessons in japan
from an awesome guy. I will be playing with 2 guitar
players and one hand drummer. We will be playing
"wading through the velvet" sea by Phish.
the other guys are really good professional musicians.
 I no nothing about notations or anything like that.
I will simply be improvising (2 solos) and some light,
soft delicate notes inbetween some of their chord
changes. they taught me alot about music in just a few
days, like parts that make up a song, how to tell what
time a song is played in, how to tell how many
measures have been played, ect. We practiced last
night in the first floor of the library and the
librarian came down stairs and watched for a few
minutes and then said wow, u guys sound fantastic.
really made my day since I have no way to judge my
skill level - I simply love to play each and every
day.

peace, jason