[Shaku] March Shakuhachi Intensive: SANKYOKU, Ensemble with Strings

From: David Wheeler <shakudavid@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 09:12:24 PST

Hi Shakuhachists,
It's time to expand your musical awarness.
While the shakuhachi has flourished in Japan and around the world as a
solo instrument, it also boasts a beautiful tradition of ensemble
music, and has a repertoire in this area that dates back centuries and
continues to grow today.
However, there are few chances to teach and learn this music in the US.
On March 10, 11, and 12 of this year, Yoko Hiraoka (koto, shamisen,
voice) and I (shakuhachi) are offering a two and a half day intensive
workshop in Louisville, Colorado, focussing on two of the seminal
pieces of the shakuhachi ensemble repertoire. These are "Y=FBgao" ( a
jiuta shamisen/vocal work composed by Kikuoka Kengy=F4 around 1800) and
"Haru no Umi" (the shakuhachi/koto duet composed by Michio Miyagi in
1927).
In this intensive, all aspects of shakuhachi ensemble performance will
be addressed, starting with the basics of posture, pitch, tuning,
fingering and notation, and going right through to rhythmic
interpretation, phrasing, literary expression, ensemble interaction,
history and theory and performance secrets. Breathing advice will be
provided throughout.
Students will receive group instruction in a participatory lecture
performance format as well as personalized instruction, analysis and
advice.
Yoko and I perform together as Duo S=F4ky=F4. We have known and worked
with each other for over a decade. This intensive was born of our
desire to offer education in this rich ensemble tradition to a wider
student audience, and we hope you will join us for what we are
confident will be a very special experience.
Yoko makes a phenomenal contribution to this intensive, performing on
koto and shamisen, as well as singing, enabling students to experience
the ensemble aspect of this music in real-time. Her attentive
involvement in the instruction process facilitates a profoundly
deepened awareness the koto and shamisen on the part of the student,
thus opening up a whole new musical world.
Students will arrive Thursday night and lodge at business hotels in
the area. Shuttle transportation to and from hotels, lunch, and
mailed-in-advance sheet music, instructional materials and a practice
CD, as well as a complementary Tea Ceremony, are all included in the
registration fee.
If you want to take your shakuhachi playing and musicality to a new
level, here is a good place to start.
For more information and registration, please access our website:
http:://www.duosokyo.com
or reply directly to me at shakudavid@gmail.com
Cheers!

--