Re: [Shaku] bamboo

From: Tuscia-Falconer <falconer@enternet.co.nz>
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 17:00:35 PST

".... it takes about 30 years before a grove
produces shakuhachi worthy bamboo. If anybody knows otherwise please
inform, because I hope that's not correct...."

Probably correct in that it is not a rapidly spreading plant and the
diameter of culms varies. Few culms are of good diameter, many of which h=
ave
sulcus grooves. I have just transplanted three wheelbarrow sized clumps
which are each five years
old. To get a 'grove' established is "yes" going to take quite a time, bu=
of this years new culms there is one very likely candidate. Give that thr=
ee
years to mature and two to dry......in five years I will hope to be able =
do it justice.

Kel =C2=A7