Re: [Shaku] bamboo

From: John Baker <jinpa19822003@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 12:05:58 PST

--- Igor Ost <igor.ost@skynet.be> wrote:

> > Well I've got the right
> location, soil, horsemanure mixed with dried hemp
> and ash from the woodstove
> as fertilisers ... the rest is up to nature.

Hi.

I have no experience with bamboo or flutemaking, but I
have read that madake grows very fast & that is the
wrong kind of bamboo for flutes. I have read that you
need to find undernourished, unfertilized bamboo that
grows on barren soil on steep slopes. Fertilizing the
madake will make it good for other purposes, but is
not a good idea if you want to produce the denser
bamboo used for flutes.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks.

John Baker