Re: [Shaku] bamboo

From: Tuscia-Falconer <falconer@enternet.co.nz>
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 14:10:12 PST

 "...which percentage of the culms don't have grooves?"

When I went to collect my clumps I looked at several small stands, all
around five years old and about 3.5m by 1m clusters. I was disappointed t=
see that nearly all culms had sulcus grooves right from ground level. Tha=
may be this particular Bamboosoides family. Also, a greater percentage we=
re
around 100mm diameter, fewer were around 25mm. So my quick analysis said =
it
was going to be a very small percentage that would make flute material.
I dug up one of these very densly rooted clusters and divided it into clu=
mps
each of a wheelbarrow size. We actually shaped each clump into a round wh=
eel
so we could roll them up the hill to our trailor.
The soil at that location was good, certainly not depleted and a good
rainfall. Where I have planted the clumps is in full sun, depleted soil,
good rainfall but will dry quickly, mainly clay and volcanic ash. I am
hoping this will cause small diameter culms rather than the larger, even
though the mother culms are around 100mm. The first new growth was mainly
small shoots around 15mm with two or three around 20-30mm. I had cut the
existing culms to 1m and many of these threw out new branches from the lo=
wer
nodes. I intend to leave these in the ground for at least one year while
they support the new root growth.

I suggest you could plant several 'mother' culms in different soil
locations, perhaps only feed some with fertilizer, but over the first few
years observe any differences in growth patterns. I have read somewhere t=
hat
better flute material occurs in poor soil.

Be careful, growing bamboo is addictive, it grows so rapidly in early Sum=
mer
one is astonished. Madake is very strong and dense and there is a challen=
ge
to use it for fences and other building projects.

Enjoy !

Kel =C2=A7