Re: [Shaku] bamboo

From: Tuscia-Falconer <falconer@enternet.co.nz>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 11:52:10 PST

K.Y. Good point. I think along with the planting we can also
cultivate a grove, remove old or dead culms, remove material heading in a
direction that might become invasive. The easiest time to cull new growt=
is in early summer/late spring when the new culms are appearing. At this
time they are very fragile and you can simply smap them off or even mow
them.

The Madake I have seen grows from a 'mother' and spreads quite slowly. I
compare that to 'black bamboo' which I also have which can move several
meters each season. It seems to spread through the roots and come up insi=
de
and outside the grove, often in pairs. It will become very dense and
difficult to get rid of.
'Black bamboo' is useful in that many of the culms are close to flute
diameter.

But I agree with your view regarding invasive plants and would promote us=
ing
existing groves and planting well away from other plants (20-30 meters) a=
nd
cultivating the grove into something useful.

Kel =A7