Re: [Shaku] Re: bamboo

From: Perry Yung <yungflutes@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 06:40:11 PST

G'day Graham,

I was in Hong Kong last November for a month. It was
my fifth time there. I usually visit for fun or am
just passing through on the way to Japan (this time I
had the opportunity to share the shakuhachi with a few
Xiao players and performed in a modern dance concert).

Whenever I'm in HK, I am always struck by the union of
past and present - in the arts, food and especially in
the bamboo scaffolding.

 Here are some photos of the scaffolding:

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/archives/2005/11/yung_flutes_wor.html

The Chinese characters for bamboo is one of the oldest
in the Chinese written language.

Namaste, Perry

--- graham ranft <ranftg@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> When my 2.8 from Nara arrived my wife
> commented that the smell of the bamboo reminded
> her of the years she lived in Hongkong in the 60's
> when
> there was bamboo bulding scaffolding, bamboo washing
> poles
> - name it there was bamboo.
>
> bows
>
> graham in oz

"He is fast becoming one of the few Americans who make and repair shakuhachi" - Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, Grandmaster
http://www.yungflutes.com
"Three extremely talented young Asian American men." - New York Times
http://www.slantperformancegroup.com