Re: [Shaku] bamboo

From: Daniel Ribble <ryudoshak8@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 16:17:20 PST

Interesting discussion of bamboo. I wonder if
suitable bamboo for shakuhachi is found more often in
volcanic soil. Unlike Kyushu, Shikoku has no
volcanoes but we did find some good pieces of bamboo
on steep slopes with poor soil (it hard to get some of
that bamboo out!) the one time I assisted a shakuhachi
maker in his search.

Concerning the matter of bamboo propagation, The Book
of Bamboo, by David Farrelly, has this to say about
madake cultivation in the U.S.: "Planted perhaps more
widely in the United States than any other bamboo, it
is most recommended by the USDA to succeed in U.S.
rural economy since its use spans construction and
edible sprouts." That was written several decades
ago, however. Also the author notes that
Phyllostachys bambusoides is referred to as
Phyllostachys quilioi and Phyllostachys reticulata
among Japanese botanists. According to the author,
madake was introduced by the USDA directly from Japan
in 1916 but that it had also been introduced earlier
from rhizomes that had made their way to the
collection of a Henry Nehrling in Florida from bamboo
cultivated in France which had been introduced from
Japan in 1886 (The Book of Bamboo, p. 169).

             Cheers,
                                   Dan Ribble