Re: [Shaku] Hardwood Shakuhachis??

From: Charles Turner <charlesturner9@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 15:57:17 PST

Hi, I own a David Brown 1.8 with no center joint made of Australian blackwood and like it
very much. Not having a wide experience playing bamboo instruments, I can't weigh in on
how the sound compares with them. The holes appear to be somewhat differently placed
compared to my bamboo 1.8, and the bore may be a bit more conical. But Brown's flutes
are quite durable - you don't have to worry about cracking if you live in a dry climate.
Once I fell on top of mine and did it no damage (well, a tiny scratch...). Anyway, it
plays very nicely and I can't imagine ever wanting to part with it.

Charles Turner