[Shaku] Inheriting names

From: Cal Pruitt <potatohog@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 21:45:53 PST

I`m studying Tozanryu shakuhachi in Japan, and I`ve recently learned that I
can `earn` pieces of my teacher`s name when I get good. I`m curious to know
more about the tradition, since my attempts to talk about it thus far have
been full of frustration. They seem to be using lots of vocabulary that`s
beyond my current grasp.

My sensei`s name is Kenshozan. When I get good enough I will be `Shorei` and
then, someday in the distant future I imagine, Shoreizan. Am I right in
assuming that the `zan` is from `Tozanryu`? That was something I hadn`t
thought of asking before. The `Ken` in my teacher`s name must from from HIS
teacher, and the `sho` must be part of his original given name?

What are the criterion for being good enough to earn your teacher`s name?
Does it simply depend on when he feels you`ve earned the honor? What more
can you tell me about this tradition? It`s certainly fascinating!

I don`t know that I`ll be anywhere near ready to earn the name `Shorei` by
the time I go home, but I`m very excited by the prospect. I`m interested to
learn whatever you know!

~Rachael (aka `Rei-chan.`)
Niigata, Japan