Re: [Shaku] amusing breakthrough

From: Bruce Hunter <bhunter3@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 00:25:34 PDT

jeremy bornstein wrote:
> I just succeeded in simultaneously throatsinging and blowing
> shakuhachi. I don't know if it's ever going to be useful musically or
> not (I suspect not), but it is pretty damn entertaining, to me at
> least.
Hi Jeremy!
Usefulness may lie in the eye of the beholder. If incorporating an
non-standard technique into one's tool box results in the instrument
being in your face for longer than it otherwise would have been, then
it's useful. If manipulation of embouchure/throat/airflow etc. results
in increased flexibility, more/different tone colors, more endurance,
etc., etc., then certainly it's useful. Three and four (possibly more)
note chords are now possible if you can get the tuning right, and learn
to listen for them. Flutter tonguing while vocalizing is also a possibility.

Regards,
Bruce Hunter