Re: [Shaku] amusing breakthrough

From: Perry Yung <yungflutes@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 19:09:29 PDT

Steve was over at my shop a while back for an
adjustment on one of his flutes. We worked together to
make sure it would be an adjustment for the better. It
was fascinating to hear him play. At first, I thought
I was hearing some intense multiphonics but quickly
realized he was humming to harmonize. Steve wasn't
just messing around. He'd been exploring, or, mining
this approach for many years. I was treated to a
personal concert of some deep, soulful and commited
playing. That was a great afternoon.

All the best, Perry

> Shakuhachi player (and jazz pianist )Steve Cohn
> uses
> that technique to good effect in his improvisatory
> shakuhachi performances. Through combining his
> singing and shakuhachi playing he makes the bamboo
> flute sound like a totally different instrument. It
> is something interesting to experiment around with,
> merging the voice and flute sounds together and then
> separating them and trying to get two different
> tones
> at the same time. I don't think it has any
> precedent
> in traditional shakuhachi music...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan Ryudo

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

"He is fast becoming one of the few Americans who make and repair shakuhachi" - Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, Grandmaster
http://www.yungflutes.com
"Three extremely talented young Asian American men." - New York Times
http://www.slantperformancegroup.com