[Shaku] Shakuhachi Update-Spring, 2006

From: Monty H. Levenson <monty@shakuhachi.com>
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 13:01:07 PDT

--============_-1066040666==_ma============

Dear Friends,

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Here in northern
California, we have survived one of the longest, wettest Winters on
record and are hanging out to dry as Spring threatens. It nearly May
and we're still making fires in the wood stove. Global Warming? Hey,
not to worry. It's reassuring to know that our boys in Washington are
"studying" the matter. The upside is that, in spite of living on a
mountain ridgetop 30 miles from the Pacific Coast, I always wanted
beachfront property.

Here are some items at Tai Hei Shakuhachi you may find of interest.
(Plenty of time to catch up on your reading during the coming new Ice
Age.)

1. The ANNALS of the INTERNATIONAL SHAKUHACHI SOCIETY - Volume 2

The Eagle has landed! Long-await Volume 2 is here. Encyclopedic in
scope, its 406 pages include everything you wanted to know about
shakuhachi . . . and more. Editor Dan Mayers, President Emeritus of
the ISS, has done a truly masterful job. Of particular interest are
his personal reflections and an entire section devoted to the life
and work of Watazumido Doso Roshi. Articles and reviews by many of
your favorite shakuhachi characters.

http://www.shakuhachi.com/PG-ISS-2.html

2. James Nyoraku Schlefer, SHAKUHACHI DUETS: Ten Original
Compositions for Two Shakuhachi

Dual-language edition. Text in English & Japanese. Scores in
Kinko-ryu & Western 5-line staff notation. The accompanying practice
CD includes each piece with both parts performed together as well as
each part separately. This enables you to play along "Karaoke" style
while following the written notation provided.

http://www.shakuhachi.com/SM-Schlefer-Duets.html

3. Elmer Takeo Kudo, KINKO SHAKUHACHI: One Maker's Approach

By far, the most thorough exploration of the traditional techniques
used to make shakuhachi flutes currently available in English. This
book documents the work of master craftsmen Yoneda Chikamitsu, who
learned shakuhachi making from the renowned Yamaguchi Shiro. This
book takes the reader, step-by-step, through the entire shakuhachi
making process. Detailed descriptions are given for every aspect of
the craft. 59 color and B/W photos.

http://www.shakuhachi.com/CM-Kudo.html

4. Monty H. Levenson, STALKING THE WILD BORE: A Trek Into the Heart
of Shakuhachi Darkness

Emptiness to sound: Exploring the acoustical physics of the
shakuhachi flute. This treatise explores the seminal issues and
divergent views surrounding the much debated (and hotly contested)
question of how the shakuhachi actually works.

http://www.shakuhachi.com/CM-Levenson-WildBore.html

Be well.

All the best,

Monty

PS If you prefer not to receive these occasional updates, let me know
and I will remove your name from the list.

--
Monty H. Levenson
Tai Hei Shakuhachi Flutes
California, we have survived one of the longest, wettest Winters on
record and are hanging out to dry as Spring threatens. It nearly May
and we're still making fires in the wood stove. Global Warming? Hey,
not to worry. It's reassuring to know that our boys in Washington are
&quot;studying&quot; the matter. The upside is that, in spite of
living on a mountain ridgetop 30 miles from the Pacific Coast, I
always wanted beachfront property.</div>
interest. (Plenty of time to catch up on your reading during the
coming new Ice Age.)</div>
2</b></div>
is here. Encyclopedic in scope, its 406 pages include everything you
wanted to know about shakuhachi . . . and more. Editor Dan Mayers,
President Emeritus of the ISS, has done a truly masterful job. Of
particular interest are his personal reflections and an entire section
devoted to the life and work of Watazumido Doso Roshi. Articles and
reviews by many of your favorite shakuhachi
characters.</font></blockquote>
color="#000000">PG-ISS-2.html</font></blockquote>
Compositions for Two Shakuhachi</b></div>
Japanese. Scores in Kinko-ryu &amp; Western 5-line staff
notation.<font color="#000000"> The accompanying practice CD includes
each piece with both parts performed together as well as each part
separately. This enables you to play along &quot;<i>Karaoke</i>&quot;
style while following the written notation
color="#000000">http://www.shakuhachi.com/SM-Schlefer-Duets.html</font
exploration of the traditional techniques used to make shakuhachi
flutes currently available in English. This book documents the work of
master craftsmen Yoneda Chikamitsu, who learned shakuhachi making from
the renowned Yamaguchi Shiro. This book takes the reader,
step-by-step, through the entire shakuhachi making process. Detailed
descriptions are given for every aspect of the craft</font><font
size="-1">. 59 color and B/W photos.</font></blockquote>
Heart of Shakuhachi Darkness</b></div>
acoustical physics of the shakuhachi flute.<font color="#000000"> This
treatise explores the seminal issues and divergent views surrounding
the much debated (and hotly contested) question of how the shakuhachi
color="#000000">http://www.shakuhachi.com/CM-Levenson-WildBore.html</font
updates, let me know and I will remove your name from the
list.</font></div>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>
Monty H. Levenson<br>