[Shaku] Four Messages from Riley Lee - Msg #4

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 09:39:48 PDT

Hello all.

I have several announcements to make. Announcement #4:

James Jennings has done the impossible by making the files of my PhD
thesis suitable for putting on-line. If you are interested, please go
to the following link:

                       http://www.rileylee.net/thesis.html

There are still a number of issues that have yet to be sorted out,
mainly to do with missing illustrations, some unusual kanji, and the
many pages of transcriptions. But rather than procrastinate for
another ten years, I've put the files on our website, imperfections
and all. The illustrations and transcriptions will be added in the
near future.

Even those of you who already have a hard copy of the dissertation
may want to have a look, as James' version is much more legible than
the UMI photocopy of the microfiche. This will be especially true
once the illustrations and transcriptions are included. For example,
the colour coding in the transcriptions will be visible for the first
time.

The internet version also has the hundreds of major and minor
corrections that Tom Deaver made on the dissertation after it was
submitted to University of Sydney, and which were not included in the
UMI hard copy.

Chap 3, in my opinion, is still the most comprehensive history of the
shakuhachi (up to the 1970s) written in English.

Best regards, Riley Lee

Dr Riley Lee
PO Box 939
Manly NSW 1655 Australia