[Shaku] from T. M. Hoffman: Asian music feature story appears 01 June 2006

From: Tim Hoffman <ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp>
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 07:44:15 PDT

Dear Friends

Greetings from the mountains of western Gunma prefecture in central Japan.

1. Please note that a full-page feature story on T. M. Hoffman and
Indo-Japanese Music Exchange Association will appear in the 01 June 2006
edition of the nationwide English-language newspaper 'Daily Yomiuri.' The
text portion of this Cultural Inroads story "American musician finds East
meets East"will be on the Daily Yomiuriwebsite
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/culture/ from morning of 01June.
Accompanying photographs will be put online a few days later. Complete text
with photographs will appear on http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0003/
later this week.

2. We are thankful for successful completion yesterday of the last of 8
events in the span of just 10 days (20 - 30 May), including concerts at
Mitaka City Arts Center, Gunma Prefectural Hall, and United Nations
University. The ancient Indian instrument jaltarang, pan-Asian stringed
istrument santur, Japanese shakuhachi and koto, Indian tabla drums and vocal
items were featured in classical and folk music of India and Japan, and also
in conjunction with Indonesian gamelan and other Asian instruments. The
visiting Indian artists returned to India this morning, where we will again
be presenting programs to audiences in August. This summer we also begin a
long-term project featuring the Japanese zither koto in Indian classical
music applications, with support and cooperation of American Institute of
Indian Studies. We are very grateful for understanding and encouragment from
all of our friends in Japan, India and USA.

We would enjoy hearing from you about your activities at any time.

Sincerely wishing you all the best,

T. M. Hoffman
performing artist and ethnomusicologist
Director, Indo-Japanese Music Exchange Association (Japan office)
130 Yoshizaki, Shimonita-machi, Kanra-gun, Gunma-ken 370-2604 JAPAN
tel/fax: 81-0274-82-3160 mobile 090-5447-1903
e-mail: ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp
          tmhoffmus21@yahoo.com

http://shakuhachi.com/G-IJMEA.html
   includes music from our CD 'Integral Asia'
http://www.geocities.com/darvaksd/Integral_Asia_9_16_05.html
   16 Sept 2005 concert with artists of India, Iran, USA (La Jolla,
California USA)
http://www.indiaedunews.net/MeetAchievers/interviews/holfman.htm
   detailed interview by National Network of Education (India)
http://hindustantimes.com/2005/Mar/15/5922_1279436,0015002500010002.htm
   14 March 2005 Bhatkhande Music Institute program (Lucknow, India)