[Shaku] T. M. Hoffman & Asian music: (revised) feature story on Internet

From: Tim Hoffman <ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp>
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 01:45:43 PDT

Dear Friends

* Please note that the newspaper feature story (mentioned in an earlier
e-mail) contained a number of factual and stylistic errors, which the writer
has kindly corrected. Updated information is given in (1) below. Thank you
for your understanding.

Greetings from the mountains of western Gunma prefecture in central Japan,
where the bright green of late spring/early summer is shrouded in 'mistery'
as the monsoon approaches from the south.

(1) A full-page feature story on T. M. Hoffman and
Indo-Japanese Music Exchange Association ('American musician finds East
meets East') appeared on the Cultural Inroads page of the 01 June 2006
edition of the nationwide English-language newspaper 'Daily Yomiuri.'
Complete text with photographs are now on
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0003/.

(2) We are thankful for successful completion last week of the last of 8
events in the span of just 10 days Mitaka City Arts Center, Gunma
Prefectural Hall, and United Nations University. The ancient Indian
instrument jaltarang, pan-Asian stringed instrument santur, Japanese
shakuhachi and koto, Indian tabla drums and vocal items were featured in
classical and folk music of India and Japan, and also in conjunction with
Indonesian gamelan and other Asian instruments. The visiting Indian artists
returned on 31 May to India, where we will again be presenting programs
to audiences in August. This summer I also begin a
long-term project featuring the Japanese zither koto in Indian classical
music applications, with support and cooperation of American Institute of
Indian Studies and numerous respected Indian institutions, artists and
scholars.
We are very grateful for understanding and encouragement from
all of our friends in India, Japan, USA and elsewhere.

We would enjoy hearing from you at any time.

Sincerely wishing you all the best,

T. M. Hoffman
performing artist and ethnomusicologist
Director, Indo-Japanese Music Exchange Association (Japan office)
130 Yoshizaki, Shimonita-machi, Kanra-gun, Gunma-ken 370-2604 JAPAN
tel/fax: 81-0274-82-3160 mobile 090-5447-1903
e-mail: ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp
          tmhoffmus21@yahoo.com

http://shakuhachi.com/G-IJMEA.html
   includes music from our CD 'Integral Asia'

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0003/ "American musician finds East
  meets East"text/photos from 01 June 2006 'Daily Yomiuri' feature story
http://www.geocities.com/darvaksd/Integral_Asia_9_16_05.html
 16 Sept 2005 concert with artists of India, Iran, USA (La Jolla, California
USA)
http://www.indiaedunews.net/MeetAchievers/interviews/holfman.htm
 detailed interview by National Network of Education (India)
http://hindustantimes.com/2005/Mar/15/5922_1279436,0015002500010002.htm
 14 March 2005 Bhatkhande Music Institute program (Lucknow, India)