Re: [Shaku] European shakuhachi summer school/fingering chart/European Shakuhachi Society

From: Justin . <justinasia@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 01:18:09 PDT

Congratulations all on the Summer school! Sounds like
it was a great success.

I would just like to clarify something about the
finger chart which has been uploaded, to save any
confusion or misunderstanding. It is written that
there is Kinko, Tozan, KSK and Zensabo. That seems to
imply that the KSK notation, of Yokoyama's school, is
somehow it's own unique system. In actual fact
Yokoyama's school uses a very standard form of Kinko
notation very widely used in Japan, and that is what I
have written there for the chart. I do not know if
there are any other variations of Kinko notation, but
the two which I always see are the two on the chart
(labeled kinko and KSK). So they are both in fact
Kinko, and both standard and widespread. The only
exception to this is that for the honkyoku in
Yokoyama's school they use two extra symbols, "circle
u" and "circle re", the circle representing dai meri.
Apologies if I have included any errors!
Best wishes
Justin.