Re: [Shaku] European shakuhachi summer school/fingering chart/European Shakuhachi Society

From: James Jennings <jennings@megaseattle.com>
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 19:20:52 PDT

At 8:07 PM -0500 7/25/06, Peter Ross wrote:
>There's also a modern variation of kinko style that Miyata Kohachiro and
>Masayuki Koga have used. I don't know who started it, but Koga gave me a
>booklet of folk songs in this style. It's a combination of Kinko notation
>with Tozan timing marks.

I've seen that. Someone told me that Miyata calls it "abridged Kinko".

There are some exceptions to "It's a combination of Kinko notation
with Tozan timing marks." For example:

Kinko "go no ha" is just written "ha". Otherwise, high notes written
with "ha" leave out the "ha".
E.g., "san no ha" is written just "san" ('3' in kanji)

Unmarked notes get one beat (a quarter note) where in Tozan notation
they'd get two. Similarly, a single line is an eighth note, where in
Tozan a single line on a single note is a quarter note, but when it
spans several notes it indicates eighth notes.

I rather like abridged Kinko, actually.

James