[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #1116

From: Christopher Blasdel <yohmei@gol.com>
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 16:30:39 PST

Interesting question.

To jump to the conclusion, the note should be chi-meri, which corresponds
to the u of the honte.This makes sense as it acts as a leading tone which
resolves down to the re. The koto here does a scrape on d and e flat strings
which also resolves into the re, echoed in the octave above.

The Kawase score notates it as chi, as you pointed out. The Chikumei-sha
score also writes it as chi (without a meri marking), but interestingly, in
the Chikumei-sha notation, the kaete part is also written in small script
alongside the honte, and there it is clearly marked as chi-meri.

It is important to remember that none of the scores we use today are 100%
accurate. The idea was that one learned the piece by oral tradition and the
notation was just a device to remind the player what should have been
already memorized.The meri markings are also notoriously unreliable. If you
look at pre-war Chikuyu-sha notation, there are almost no meri markings--it
was just assumed the player would know when to meri and when not to.

There was also an element of personal interpretation. Sometimes a shakuhachi
player would play meri when the koto player played a kari note, or vice
versa.

The pieces themselves probably also changed over time. Some scholastic
studies suggest that Roku-dan no Shirabe was originally played all kari, For
example, the first dan of Akikaze no Kyoku was written to be played together
with Rokudan, but unless you play all the Rokudan meri notes kari, it just
doesn't work,

Hope this was helpful.

Christopher Yohmei Blasdel