[Shaku] A message to ji-nashi shakuhachi makers

From: Kiku Day <kikuescargot@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 04:54:49 PDT

Hello!

I have been accepted as a researcher at Osaka University of Arts in
order to study the development of ji-nashi shakuhachi making during the
20th century till now, and I will begin there 2nd April. I would like
to look into how much the ji-nashi shakuhachi has remained an
instrument constructed as the Fuke shakuhachi during the Edo period
(with variations depending of which temples the player/maker belonged
to, of course) or if the instrument has changed during the 20th
century. This is a part of my PhD project that also consists of
creating a modern repertoire for ji-nashi shakuhachi by working with
composers. This organological part of the project could very well be
developed further later on, and I am very excited about studying under
two brilliant shakuhachi scholars, Tukitani Tuneko and Simura Satosi.

I am very interested in getting in contact with as many shakuhachi
makers as possible - for interviews, and also for borrowing the
ji-nashi shakuhachi you have made, so I can take x-rays and spectrogram
analysis of them.
I will, of course pay postage of the flutes and send them back as soon
as I have finished collecting the data.
I am first and foremost interested in ji-nashi shakuhachi made by
professional makers - but some made by players themselves may be of
interest.

My main aim here in Osaka is, of course, first and foremost to see the
trends by Japanese makers, but I think ji-nashi shakuhachi made by
non-Japanese are important to include as they would also show a global
trend. And since I now have the equipment both to do spectrogram
analysis and x-rays here, it would be good to include the instruments
made by makers around the world.

I would be very grateful if you contact me off-list: kiku@kikuday.com
if you are interested in letting me look at your ji-nashi shakuhachi in
order to collect data ... or if you know of people you think I should
get in contact with, please let me know.

I hope to hear from you!
Best wishes,
Kiku