[Shaku] Sankyoku Title Translation (summary)

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 09:52:25 PDT

I got a number of responses to my request for translations of the
sankyoku titles, and rather than post them individually to the list,
I thought I was summarize them in one message.

Having almost no understanding of Japanese myself, I really appreciate
the fact that one can post questions like this to the list and get so
many intelligent responses from people versed in Japanese culture
and language.

The titles are:

1. Hakata Bushi (Folk song from Kyushu's Hakata harbor for
shakuhachi and shamisen. This piece was recorded by Yamamoto Shusui. Nihon
Chiku on Ki Shokai. #3511) [Monty]

The first one is Hakata Bushi (Hakata is a city in Kyushu) [Andy]

2. Kaji Makura (Composed Kikuoka Kenko.) [Monty]

2. Kagi Makura (Kagi is a kind of tree so since makura is pillow
it might mean something like leaning against the tree) [Andy]

3. Cha no Yu Ondo (Folk tune inspired by the spirit of tea
ceremony.) [Monty]

3. Cha no Yu Ondo (Ondo is a dancepiece) [Andy]

4. Echigo Jishi (For shakuhachi and shamisen.) [Monty]

5. Shin Musume Dojoji (Inspired by a Kabuki story of a young
maiden who falls in love with monk.) [Monty]

5. Shin Musume Dojo Ji (Musume Dojo Ji is a famous kabuki piece)
so this is a new version [Andy]

Further reading of the titles is available at Komuso.com.

My thanks, for their responses, to:

"Monty H. Levenson" <monty@shakuhachi.com>
"ASIAN EXPT" <asianexpt@aol.com> (aka "Andy")
Christopher Blasdel <yohmei@gol.com>