Re: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi

From: Peter Ross <peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com>
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 15:51:31 PDT

--B_3265206699_2228748
        charset="ISO-8859-1"

As many of you know, after 30 years I=B9ve become allergic to urushi. I
don=B9t swell up however like poor David. I just get dizzy.
As to the power of urushi or urushiol, the oil in poison ivy, I have some
bad news. It=B9s going to get a lot worse. I was alarmed to read that global
warming will reduce crop nitrogen levels, and that Poison ivy prospers
under these conditions and will in the future grow twice as much as it does
now. On top of that, the vines will produce greater amounts of the most
toxic form of urushiol.

Have to wonder why urushi is used in shukuachi. Maybe it=B9s a macho thing,
like eating Fugu.

Peter

On 6/20/07 11:55 AM, "Ron Hamady" <rhamfilm@yahoo.com> wrote:

>=20
> Just in case you've never seen the power of urushi.
> =20
> =20
> =20
> My dear friend David played my new Yamaguchi Shugetsu 2.3 flute. This is =
the
> picture 2 days later. Yikes.
> =20
> =20
> =20
> Best,=20
> =20
> =20
> =20
> Ron Hamady
> =20
>=20
> Got a little couch potato?
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D48248/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=3Doni_=
on_ma
> il&p=3Dsummer+activities+for+kids&cs=3Dbz>

--B_3265206699_2228748
        charset="ISO-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>As ma=
ny of you know, after 30 years I&#8217;ve become allergic to urushi. &nbsp;&=
nbsp;I don&#8217;t swell up however like poor David. &nbsp;I just get dizzy.=
<BR>
As to the power of urushi or urushiol, the oil in poison ivy, I have some b=
ad news. It&#8217;s going to get a lot worse. &nbsp;I was alarmed to read th=
at global warming will reduce crop nitrogen levels, and that &nbsp;Poison iv=
y prospers under these conditions and will in the future grow twice as much =
as it does now. &nbsp;On top of that, the vines will produce greater amounts=
 of the most toxic form of urushiol. <BR>
<BR>
Have to wonder why urushi is used in shukuachi. Maybe it&#8217;s a macho th=
ing, like eating Fugu.<BR>
<BR>
Peter<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 6/20/07 11:55 AM, &quot;Ron Hamady&quot; &lt;rhamfilm@yahoo.com&gt; wrot=
e:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
Just in case you've never seen the power of urushi. <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
My dear friend David played my new Yamaguchi Shugetsu 2.3 flute. This is th=
e picture 2 days later. Yikes.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
Best, <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
Ron Hamady<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"1" WIDTH=3D"100%">Got a little couch potato? <BR>
Check out fun summer activities for kids. <a href=3D"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/e=
vt=3D48248/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=3Doni_on_mail&p=3Dsummer+activities+=
for+kids&cs=3Dbz">&lt;http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D48248/*http://search.yahoo.co=
m/search?fr=3Doni_on_mail&amp;p=3Dsummer+activities+for+kids&amp;cs=3Dbz&gt;</a> <=

</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STY=
LE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>