Re: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi

From: Justin . <justinasia@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 18:21:27 PDT

--- Peter Ross <peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com> wrote:

> Have to wonder why urushi is used in shukuachi.
> Maybe it=B9s a macho thing,
> like eating Fugu.
Hi Peter
As you might know, urushi has been used for a very
long time in Japan, the oldest artifacts discovered so
far being about 9000 years old. (Evidently very
durable!)
Being allergic to it is quite a shame. Otherwise, it
seems a most wonderful substance, with such a variety
of applications. A very practical, not to mention
beautiful natural substance.=20

The fact that a number of foreigners have an adverse
reaction to the urushi in shakuhachi has surprised me.
I would like to know, do you, or the other reacting
people you know (or on the list) have any reaction to
the urushi on traditional eating utensils, such as
miso bowls, chopsticks etc.? I did ask my urushi
teacher whether he had ever heard of anyone having any
reaction to the urushi from eating utensils, and he
said no-one reacts to it once it is dry. This makes me
think of 2 possibilities. Either, people do react, but
he has never heard of them. Or, there may be some part
of the process used by certain shakuhachi makers which
is involved in this problem. So, if I could know
whether or not any of the reacting people react to
more ordinary laquerware, it would be instructive.

Best wishes
Justin

      =20