Re: [Shaku] oops

From: Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 16:38:58 PDT

>From: "Justin ." <justinasia@yahoo.com>
>
>Did you ever notice for example that you reacted to some new shakuhachi
>but not some others? I.e. reacting differently to shakuhachi of different
>makers?

I tend to be far more sensitive to red urushi than to black, and the
former remains "poisonous" longer - a lot longer. This doesn't seem
to depend on the maker. I've experienced problems with the black
urushi of three makers, and the red from at least that many.

For instance, I used a flute with a replaced utaguchi to play a gig
on Friday of last week. Black urushi, probably 3 or 4 months old.
This morning I notice that I have a small bubble on my chin and a
bit of a sore on my lip. If that had been red, I would not have
been able to finish the gig.

Do other folks notice a difference like Justin mentions, between
different makers? Or between different colors?

bj

-